SmackDaddy

The End of an Era...

SmackDaddy

Original Post:  I am going to keep this as short and sweet as I can.  On 23 June 2014, Skies and myself will turn off all of the CritFest servers.  For now, the CF website, steam group and mumble will stay up, but the dedicated server, CritBans and CF stats will cease.  Simply put -- we're done and closing this chapter in our lives.  Skies and I are going to focus on making our relationship stronger and better than ever!  As a community, we had a good run (5 1/2 years)....and there's LOTS of friends we've made.  For those of you on our friends list, we'd hope you would keep us.

In any case, thank you all for helping make this community worthwhile.  Lots of time, effort and funds have gone into this place.  That's why not everything is going away...I believe in never saying never, but this chapter is finally over.  We wish you all well and encourage you to call upon your CF brothers and sisters when trying to play any game...these friendships will hopefully last a long time to come!

Regards,

-SmackDaddy

NOTE:  The weekend the servers get shut down (20/21 June) we plan on having a last big hurrah in Server 1....maybe a Drunk Admin Night to end all Drunk Admin Nights and hopefully, you can make it!  Mark your calendars and help us go out with a bang!   ;)

UPDATE (6/7/14) -- As of right now, we're in talks with a few folks on the direction of Critfest and it's future as well as some short-term funding assistance to help out as well.  We're discussing potentially keeping Servers 1 and 4 open.  We would shut down 2, 3, 5, 6 and 7 for good.  If we keep those two servers, server 4 will be renamed as "Server 2" just for continuities' sake.  I am considering starting a Fistful of Frags server if there's enough interest but we are also open to other games depending on what our friends in the community want.  The cost of running a minecraft server has dropped to $7 per GB but we would also be open to hardware (and/or monetary) donations for me to build a PC to run a Minecraft server for NO monthly cost.  Again, this depends on interest.

So having said this, it would seem very very likely we'll be continuing Critfest in some fashion for the foreseeable future but we need to evolve and adapt.  This is something we've been doing for the last 5 1/2 years and we hope you will help us shape CF into a more close-knit and fun community that everyone would be proud to call "home".  

SableHAWKXIII

Hey Smacks, I know I've never been a super active member of this community, but I've had fun with it. I've only seem parts of the events that brought about the end of this community, and I don't agree with or condone some of the actions that brought it about. I think there was some poor treatment of individuals on your guys part. And granted I have no personal beef with you guys, but I also have some feelings out of respect for Novak.

All that being said I'm glad you guys are starting a new chapter in your lives and I wish you guys the best :) Maybe I'll catch you online sometime, and keep an eye open for the first raffle weapon I ever won here. I took a strange reserve shooter cause it was worth the most, but never could bring myself to sell it after learning how beautiful it was. I'll be naming it The CritFest when I get around to finding a nametag for it.

Best of luck with your guys' future, and God bless.

~Sable

SmackDaddy

Well, sorry to hear that Sable, but this post is not nor will be a place to discuss "beef" or "issues".  There are two sides to every story and often the truth is in the middle somewhere.  I am not going to get into anything here and frankly don't feel the need to perpetuate any drama that I had no hand in stirring up anyways.  If people want to speak offline, then there's forum PM, steam, etc.  Thank you for your post though and look forward to seeing folks online as the mood strikes us all!  ;)

Baconater

This was one of the funnest and happiest times I have had on a video game. I was here for 4-5 years and I have made friends that I will have for a very long time, but all great things must come to a end sometime. I have had great fun and many laughs with everyone here and I hope to have many more with all of your. Thanks for all the great times. Bacon Out.

Captain Terror

4 years and all. It was beyond fun, and I hope you guys get your shit better life wise~ it was a fucking bad ass ride with y'all, and while I'm sad to see CF go, I gotta thank you and skies for 4 year of enjoyable play time.

I shall miss the servers.

As much as I don't want them to go, I feel it's for the best (huge sacrifices must be taken as we progress on with our lives)

so many memories were made in the servers and I had a good time with you guys, you guys are like a family to me and I love all you so much

I'm amazed to have discovered you by chance when I was looking for a CTF map to play on (those types of maps are my favorite), I was usually much of a wanderer on tf2, playing on random servers; but when I first heard you guys talking and the conversations going on, I said to myself that I was gonna come back here again, you guys are so unique; this community is so unique; and it was because of that reason that I favorited these servers

while we do poke fun at each other now and then, when things get serious (like personal issues or stuff like that), we all lend out a helping hand to one another

we're one big happy disfunctional family, and boy does it feel amazing

with that being said, I'm gonna do whatever it takes to play with you guys now, I'm gonna make the best of the days remaining for the CritFest servers and party like there's no tomorrow, I'll be the best submissive slave I can be from now on,

#YOLO (I usually despised this term, but now, I've grown used to it)

Long Live Critfest!

-Your Loveable Slave, thenewkid30

Lope_a_dope

I'll miss the servers and the fun times, but you two have to do what you got to do! It was a great run and I'll always remember all the fun times we've had.  I really love this family, and I'll keep on the forums as long as they're up!

Metamyth

4 and a half years I've known this community. It's always had its ups and downs, even as MAD that came before it. Seems that every year there would just be some catastrophic event that would tear the community apart... but it would come back together eventually. Things would go back to normal. People would usually get over their differences enough to move on and just play the game. I had points in time where I would think about leaving, but I never went too far. This community, and the people in it, had a draw to them that would keep me coming back, to the point where I decided to become an Admin and help shape its future. 

But to be fair, all good things must come to an end. Many of my old friends aren't part of the community anymore, some haven't logged on in ages. I lost the spark that kept me wanting to be an Admin. Things change; that's just part of life. That's not to say that we should lose track of each other by association. I've not been on the servers as much as I could have been lately, but I invite you all to send me a friend request so that we may stay in touch. 

Smackdaddy, I wish you the best in your future endeavors, whatever they may be. Skies, the same to you. To the admin team, I wish you all the best (those of you that I don't already stay in contact with, at least). 

I do plan to be present at the big hurrah to pay my respects to the community that, in some ways, helped shape who I am today. I hope to see you all there; my rocket launcher will be thirsty.

LINKMASTAH

I've been here for about only a year and a half maybe? But that aside it's been a good run, first community I've been a part of and I was pretty damn lucky for it to be Critfest. :) Who knows even if I'll be apart of another community but if so, you can't get much better then Critfest. :D (Not that long of a farewell but it's the thought that counts C; )

GraphicVooDoo

R.I.P in peace critfest, I hope things stay strong between you and Skies, Jason. It'll be a sad day if it doesn't. Much Love -GraphicPooPoo  **I'll especially miss the radio of smack's best jams**

WickedOreo

I've only been in the community for less than a year, but the time I've spent with you guys was worth it. I originally thought that TF2 had more intimidating communities, but you guys proved me otherwise. CritFest has definitely been the best community that I've joined to date, and I've made more friends than I ever had before in such a short time. You guys have helped me to mature myself beyond what I already was, and there can be no amount of thanks to ever repay that.

I'm going to miss you all, very much so. I'll try to go on some servers here and there, but I'll be trying to focus on my life from here on out. College is closer than I really took time to realize, but that doesn't mean that I won't be able to contact you guys.

Thank you Smack, Skies, and the rest of the admins for making the hours fly by like that, and I wish you all the best as you go forth with your lives.

-Oreo

Polaroid =TYBG=

This was always one of my favorite communities, and I'm sad to see it go. I was always more active in game than in forum, but having met so many great players through this community, it was well worth the 4 years of playing. I wish both Skies and Smack luck in the future, and I hope to both play and stay in contact with everyone here in the future. This community changed my life, and I'll always be glad that I stumbled upon it!

Well then, it was fun being here while it was fun. But if you decide to start another community, I just may stop by.

Although I wasn't a part of the community for too long (less than a year) I will greatly miss the community and everyone on here. I cri everytiem. 

broklynite

This is indeed a sad day. I haven't been around much lately for one reason or another, but I always knew that you folks would be there for me to come back to. Servers full of fun and wild and wacky people, all who had mics, all out to have a good time without meanness or nastiness. A community where admins were always quick to enforce the first rule. I will sincerely miss it. But I wish you guys the best- real life always takes prescedence. Just know that you leave behind friends who will always be up for a game when you come to visit.

WickedOreo

Time to sell my Liberty Launcher.

huehuehue....

No! You shall do no such thing.

Perhaps I'll work towards getting my Liberty Lawnchair to a Hale's Own before the servers close down.

Nikkolus

Very sad to hear this, I wish I would have met you guys much sooner, it has been great fun for the short while though.

<3